Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Misguided YA Novel Adaptations: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

So apparently the YA novel If I Stay by Gayle Forman is becoming a movie. It gives me pause that it's being described as a "supernatural music pic" and the article says it "revolves around the relationship between a femme classical musician and her indie rock-star boyfriend." That is just...completely not what the book is about. Yes, the main character is a classical musician and she's dating a boy who's in a rock band on the verge of huge success, but the story is about her decision whether or not to stay living despite how much she's lost. I love this novel, and I just don't want to see it ruined. I mean, I'm glad the author gets paid for the rights, but I don't know if I can see the movie unless I see proof that it's going to be anything resembling faithful to the original story.

No comments:

Post a Comment